Following the resignation of Councillor Tobias Holbrook a vacancy exists on Carnforth Town Council which can now be filled by co-option.
Anyone interested in being an active part of our forward-thinking council and who wants to make a real difference in our local community should submit a letter of application, explaining why they would like to be a parish councillor, and detailing what they would bring to the role.
Your application should be sent to Mr Bob Bailey, Clerk & Proper Officer by email to: email@example.com or by post to:
Carnforth Town Council,
28 Wilson Grove, Heysham, Morecambe LA3 2PQ
Applications must be submitted by FRIDAY 14 May 2021
Eligibility for office
Anyone wishing to be co-opted to a Town Council must be qualified to be a Councillor. A candidate must:
- be a British, Commonwealth or Irish Citizen or a citizen of another European Union Member State;
- be 18 years of age on the day he/she is nominated, and:
- Meet at least one of the following four qualifications:
- be a local government elector for the parish on the day he/she is nominated and thereafter, OR;
- have occupied land or premises in the town council area as owner or tenant for 12 months preceding both the day of nomination and the day of the poll OR;
- have had his/her principal or only place of work in the town council area during the 12 months preceding both the day of nomination and the day of the poll, OR;
- have resided in the town council area or within 4.8 kilometres of it for 12 months preceding both the day of nomination and the day of the poll. (4.8 kilometres is the equivalent of 3 miles.)
An applicant may be disqualified from standing (or being co-opted), if they are a paid officer or employee of the Town Council; have had bankruptcy restriction orders made against them or they have a previous criminal conviction with a prison sentence of three months or more.
If you are in any doubt whether you would be able to stand for election or co-option, please contact Lancaster City Council, Elections team on 01524 582000 or visit the Electoral Commission website for more information